Monday, June 8, 2009

Last Will and Testament of James Barefoot

Last Will and Testament of James Barefoot
In the name of God. Amen, I James Barefoot of St. Clair township Bedford County and State of Pennsylvania being Sick and weak in body; but of Sound mind, memory and understanding (praised be God for it) and considering the certainty of death and uncertainty of the time thereof, and to the end I may be the better prepared to leave this world, whenever it shall please God to call me hence do therefore make and declare this my last will, and testament in manner following that is to say:
First and principally, I commend my soul into the hands of Almighty God my creator hoping for free pardon and remission of all my sins and to enjoy everlasting happiness in the Heavenly Kingdom through Jesus Christ my Savior; my body I commit to the earth at the discretion of my Executor hereinafter named. And I give all my messuages land tenements, etc.
I will that all my just debts as shall be by me owing at my death together with all my funeral expenses and all charges touching the proving of or otherwise concerning this my will shall in the first place out of my personal Estate and effects be fully paid and Satisfied; and from and after payment thereof and subject thereto then my will is that my dear wife Mary is to have the third of the place during her lifetime with the exception of the fulling mill, she is to have all the household and kitchenf urniture by giving Margaret as much out of the same as one of the other girls get, she is to have the new house and one room up Stairs, she is to have one horse beast three cows and three hogs, and half of the garden; She is to see that the place be kept in good repair by the tenants who farm the same; my will is that William is to have the sawmill five years one month out of each year in the season for sawing, and is to keep up the repairs of said mill if broken while in his possession and to have the Sorrell mares colt which is expected, my will is that James is to have the property which belongs to him and to have the third of the grain which he put out last fall, he is to have one hundred dollars for additional Services to be paid when the place is sold or divided. My will is that Samuel is to have two cattle which he claims; My will is that if Samuel, Job or George learns the fulling trade are to have the fulling mill and all the land East of the land belonging thereto at the praisement. Therents of the fulling mill is to go towards the repair of the mill, the water rights is to go to the use of fulling mill and not make use of more water than is needed. My will is that the Real estate to be appraised and sold when the youngest child becomes of age or sooner if they see proper if they can agree and the remainder of the property to be equally divided between the heirs viz: Rebecca, Elizabeth, Sarah, William, Isabella, James, Mary, Margaret, Samuel, Job, Charlotte and George share and share alike at there Mother's decease my will is that the total moveable property is to be appraised and sold to defray the outstanding debts and the balance to be equally divided among the heirs; I make and ordain William Barefoot and James Barefoot executors of this my last will and testament.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty third day of March A.D.1844
James Barefoot [his seal]
Signed, Sealed and acknowledged by the testator in the presence of the subscribers as his last will and testament attest.
George C. Davis Benjamin H. Walker Benj. Davis
Be it Remembered that on the twenty first day of May A.D. one thousand eight hundred andforty four letters Testamentary were issued to William Barefoot and James Barefoot Executors in theforegoing will names they having been first duly sworn according to law.
(Will may be viewed at FW3f Book 3, p. 283 - 1844-0010, Bedford Courthouse, Bedford, Pennsylvania)

No comments:

Post a Comment